Graduate Program in Data Science
Master’s Degree Learning Goals and Assessment
Adopted January 2016
The Graduate Program in Data Science trains Master of Science students at an advanced level in the aspects of statistical applications in data science. The graduate program also meets the expectations and standards as outlined by the professional organization providing specialized accreditation for the discipline.
Learning Goal 1 for Students: Attain mastery of the essential aspects of practice and research in the field of data science
Assessment of student achievement of Goal 1:
· Grades in graduate courses
· Review by faculty of student progress with close advising and mentoring
· Comprehensive examinations assessing depth and breadth of knowledge or a capstone paper or project or a research thesis
o Assessment of student’s performance by committee of graduate faculty members
· Continuation of graduate studies or placement in a professional position that requires an understanding of the norms and practices of data science, as well as competency in the technical aspects of performing the work associated the field. .
Roles of the program in helping students to achieve Goal 1:
· Close advising to assure that students are being prepared in a coherent and academically rigorous way
· Effective monitoring of student progress
· Evaluations of teaching effectiveness of instructors in graduate courses
o If effectiveness is below expectations, work with instructors to improve effectiveness
· Periodic review of curricular offerings, degree requirements and assessment tools
o By program faculty
o In consultation with the office of the dean of the graduate school and/or the unit dean
Learning Goal 2 for Students: Prepare to be professionals in data science
Assessment of graduate student achievement of Goal 2:
· Participation in internships and other work tailored to career goals, assessed accordingly
· Collection of data on professional placement data or continuation of graduate studies
· Review by external advisory committees, both inside of and external to the academy.
Role of the program in helping students achieve Goal 3:
· Host professional development and career exploration activities
· Develop internship opportunities
· Host external advisory committees
The leadership of the data science graduate program will regularly review the structure and content of the program and the feedback received from assessments and surveys. These reviews will be used to provide the best possible education to students that meet current needs for professionals in data science.